Cold and snow makes me think of chili, stew, or soup. However, since I can't really have tomatoes anymore, I had to find a new chili recipe.
And I found a wonderful one!
So tonight's dinner is going to be White Chicken Chili with a Cornbread Crust.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1-2 cans of navy beans (19oz)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 can chicken broth (14oz)
- 1 can mild green chilies (4.5oz) ----> if you don't like heat, use 1/2 this
- 1 can white corn
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 package cornbread mix (6oz) ----> I use Jiffy as I like the sweetness
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
-In a dutch over, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add 1 cup onion, garlic, green pepper, cumin, and chili powder, and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
-Add the lime juice, cannellini beans, chicken, broth, and green chilies, and stir until just combined.
-Remove from the heat and set aside.
-In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg. Add the milk, butter, and cornbread mix, and blend well.
-Pour over the chicken chili in the skillet.
-Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cornbread is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes.
-Top with sour cream if desired when serving.
Hope someone enjoys this recipe as much as I do!