Sunday, February 28, 2010

So, this weeks meals are over and done with. They were in general a success, some more so then others, but none were horrible. Here is a short and basic review of what I thought of them.

Tilapia with green beans (Food Network Magazine)
Grade: B
Good, but sort of bland. I think the blandness had to do with the fact that green beans are not in season at the moment and thus I was unable to get the most flavor from them. Plus, they needed to be cooked a bit longer. I like my veggies still crisp, but these were a bit too much so. I think I will make it again, but maybe wait till summer and the farmers markets so I can get fresher green beans.

Smothered Pork Chops (Foodnetwork.com) with mashed potatoes and glazed carrots
Grade: A
Very good meal. It was comfort food to the max, and very flavorful. I really enjoyed it and I don't normally like pork very much. I was also very happy with how they cooked, as I have had issues with pan frying (stuff browning WAY too fast and before it was cooked through).

Chicken Cacciatore (myrecipes.com) with rotini
Grade: A-
Wow... that is what I thought of this. I did add tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes as it was suggested in some of the reviews. I could see how it would be a bit bland without the additions, but with them it was great. The chicken was fall of the bone tender and so flavorful. One of the best slow cooker meals I have ever had.


Cod with Tomato Cream Sauce (Eatingwell.com) with rice
Grade: C
Eh... it wasn't bad but it wasn't memorable. It was just sort of there. Not sure if I did something wrong, but it just wasn't great.

No comments:

Post a Comment